Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Just read: Gravediggers, Mountain of Bones

I've just finished Gravediggers: Mountain of Bones by Christopher Krovatin.

This book is a little bit scary, but also, it's really a lot about mystery. Three 6th graders, Kendra, Ian and PJ (all of who don't like each other too much anymore)  end up getting lost in a very bad neck of the woods. As they penetrate the forest and get more and more lost, they are drawn into a world that turns their expectations upside down, brings them closer together (whether they want to be or not!) and is really rather spooky. I don't want to give too much away because a lot of the fun in reading this story was finding out just what the heck was going on! The mystery part of what's happening and why it's happening is very interesting and the resolution of the mystery isn't a let-down at all: instead, I'm very satisfied and even more intrigued.

Some of the writing felt a little uneven to me at times where I found myself losing my sense of "suspended disbelief" that we all need to have while reading fiction. But it wasn't jarring enough to mar the whole of the story. I am looking forward to the sequel and learning more about the cool magical world that Krovatin created.

I think this book is a good recommended read for anyone who enjoyed Delaney's Last Apprentice series and since its recced by R.L. Stine, I think Goosebumps fans might like it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment