Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Currently reading: Manuals

Construct 2 User Manual by Scirra Ltd, Available online
and...
Elgg Documentation by Elgg Foundation, Available online

I've been really trying to get a better understanding of two different types of software. The first is a little easier. Construct 2 is an excellent free game engine that I've been using to create small games. So far, I've been using the forums and tutorials to understand how to create my games, but I'd like a deeper understanding, so I'm reading the manual. How about that?

Elgg is an open source social media architecture. It requires PHP, Apache and MySQL. I'm a total n00b on all of this stuff, but I'm giving it a go. The documentation is gibberish to me right now, but I'll get it. I've already started configuring the files on a server I signed up for that supports all the required programs... so we'll see if I can conquer it.

My goal with both: to create a prototype social network that can be demonstrated as an alternative to commercial solutions for teen use in libraries. I hope that since Construct 2 can be configured for Facebook apps, that I might also be able to integrate apps created with Construct2 into Elgg. I guess I'll find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment