Saturday, November 17, 2012

Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian -- Finished!

I finally finished The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

My reactions are many! The art in conjunction with the text really work and I think help keep the story balanced between sadness and humor. I wonder if this was Alexie's experience growing up--I'd like to find out more.

Basically, as Junior, the main character lives through his freshman year in the white school (22 miles off the Rez), he experiences tragedy, joy, and changes the lives of the people around him.

The story is about finding hope and those who are unable to move--both physically and emotionally. The story is powerful, but accessible to readers on many levels. Like I said, the pictures work great with the text and I think that without them, the story wouldn't have been as bittersweet or as humorous. We really see into Junior's mind through them. The words, though, are just as powerful. The images that Alexie creates of Junior climbing the tallest tree, playing basketball and more are unforgettable. The characters are all interesting.

I'd recommend this to anyone in high school and above--I know there's a lot of controversy about one of the drawings (Jesus farting), but Junior draws it during a time where he has just lost many close people in his life and he's mad at God and trying to understand death. It's not really a big part of the book. If you're easily offended... don't read the book. There's references to boners and you'll find out that Indians like to "talk dirty."

No comments:

Post a Comment